Archive for the ‘common salt’ tag
There have been some huge spikes in the sodium content of some processed foods. A 2008 study published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) shows that the average sodium content of over 500 processed and restaurant foods stayed around the same between 2005 and 2008.
On the other hand over 100 products increased sodium content by 5% or more and nearly 30 products increased by 30% or more.
Hardee’s French Fries tripled the amount of sodium in those three years; Walmart Cream Cheese almost doubled.
Sodium content in over 110 products declined in the same period.
The American Medical Association has asked the food industry to try and reduce sodium content by 50% over ten years. It is estimated that alone could saveup to 150,000 lives annually, or 1.5 million over ten years!
Only about 10% of the salt in processed foods is there naturally on average. The rest (90%) is added by the manufacturers. Most is common salt, but there is also MSG, and Sodium Nitrite.